For reference, a list of sites with instructions on the Sewn Bind- (or Cast-) Off. Particularly useful when you want a stretchy cast-off edge, such as with ribbing.
- There are nice instruction in Vogue Knitting
- Knitty has an overview of a number of cast-off techniques, including the sewn bind-off (scroll down to the bottom).
- Woolywonder has a good set of instructions, with photos.
- KnittingHelp.com has videos and instructions for an number of casting-off techniques, including the sewn bind-off (scroll down).
- There’s a wikipedia entry on various bind off techniques.
- The most common version of the sewn bind-off is apparently found in Elizabeth Zimmermann’s Knitting Without Tears.
- There’s a tutorial on sockknitters.com, along with a variation for circular needles.